Irish derived place name Cam Eas, meaning either ‘The Bend in the River’ or ‘The Crooked Stream is a townland in the civil parish of Kinawley, barony of Tullyhaw, County Cavan, Ireland.
Its chief geographical features are Cuilcagh mountain which rise to 2,188 feet above sea level, Binbeg mountain which rises to 1,774 feet, mountain pools, the River Cladagh (Swanlinbar), mountain streams, waterfalls, underground streams, river swallowholes, ravines, caverns and forestry plantations. Commas is traversed by minor public roads and rural lanes. The townland covers 2,551 statute acres and is the largest townland in County Cavan.
In the 1609 Plantation of Ulster, Commas formed part of the mountain of Cuilcagh which were granted to John Sandford of Castle Doe, Co. Donegal)
The 1836 Ordnance Survey Namebooks state- The Swanlinbar or Claddagh River rises in this townland, being the collection of a great many small streams which unite near the east side of the townland and runs towards the south-east.
Commas National School, Roll No. 5270, was actually situated in Knockranny townland.
In the Census of Ireland 1821, there were two families living in the townland.
In the 1901 census of Ireland, there was one family listed in the townland.
In the 1911 census of Ireland, there was one family listed in the townland.